Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making a semi-unkillable creature...  (Read 1981 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Making a semi-unkillable creature...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 11:19:43 am »

Just a question about that creature, but why do you have such a long [MAXAGE:X] token? If you want them to be immortal you can simply just remove that tag completely and they will be (of course if you are just looking for "flavor" since most worlds hardly make it to 10,000 years, let alone 1,000,000,000, then that's fine, but you still might cause an overflow with numbers that large).

Made some forts with these guys, and one of them was "43 million eight hundred ninety five thousand four hundred sixty seven years old."

THAT is why they're simply obscenely long-lived instead of ageless. So yes, for "flavor" and no other reason, really. I haven't had any problems, but I definitely wouldn't hesitate to change it if I did.

That... is absolutely beautiful.
I concur. I didnt think age limit could be that high.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 12:06:37 pm »

Just a question about that creature, but why do you have such a long [MAXAGE:X] token? If you want them to be immortal you can simply just remove that tag completely and they will be (of course if you are just looking for "flavor" since most worlds hardly make it to 10,000 years, let alone 1,000,000,000, then that's fine, but you still might cause an overflow with numbers that large).
Made some forts with these guys, and one of them was "43 million eight hundred ninety five thousand four hundred sixty seven years old."
THAT is why they're simply obscenely long-lived instead of ageless. So yes, for "flavor" and no other reason, really. I haven't had any problems, but I definitely wouldn't hesitate to change it if I did.
That... is absolutely beautiful.
I concur. I didnt think age limit could be that high.
Well Toady does seem to be fond of 32 bit integers in DF (I know that embark points is stored as one as well) so you could technically go all of the way up to 2,147,483,647 as your maximum number.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »

Well Toady does seem to be fond of 32 bit integers in DF (I know that embark points is stored as one as well) so you could technically go all of the way up to 2,147,483,647 as your maximum number.
You mean I can haz 2 billion embark points?
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:36 pm »

Yep! 2 billion 147 million 483 thousand 647 to be exact! Though what you would ever do with that many points I'm not really sure. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 12:59:25 pm »

Yep! 2 billion 147 million 483 thousand 647 to be exact! Though what you would ever do with that many points I'm not really sure. :P
Like, you know, embark with five hundreds sixty eight thousand one hundred seventeen steel large serrated disks, which's enough to create a trap room that is 238 cells long and wide, an equivalent of a 5x5 embark area.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 02:13:44 pm »

Mine's got the only functional tissue encased in adamantium-equivilent tissue, and, a special syndrome class. so, it's just a matter of your fort having a supply of the right substance when it comes.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.
Pages: 1 [2]