Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: SCP - Secure. Contain. Protect.  (Read 6547 times)

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCP - Secure. Contain. Protect.
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 06:55:39 am »

-snip-

Terraforming by cake, reclaimation of resources from cake, cake fueled space exploration.
I love the scope in the thinking there given the relative absurdity of the starting point - if some of these things had that kind of scope in the thought that went into them, i'd have probably found them more engaging in general to read through. I guess as was implied earlier, there's only so large something of this nature can get, so many people that can be involved before it becomes detrimental for it as a whole.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 07:45:46 pm »

I forget what number it is again, but one of the few good recent ones is a completely average, boring SCP that had something to do with a museum and was contained a long time ago.

Except on reviewing the interrogation tapes one of the guys they talked to ended his testimony by asking "Are we cool yet?", and that was years before AWCY ever appeared.
Oh yeah, I recall that. I thought you were talking about  the SCP that forces you to always mention that it used to be a museum for a second.

My favorite "Are We Cool Yet" one is that "Best of the Fifth Dimension" one, where the SCP itself is just literally a Fifth Dimension \ tracks loaded with fifth dimension and five jokes in general:"   Listeners experience quintuple vision for all moving objects." and "Listeners experience random moments in the life of Alan Shepard, the fifth man to walk on the Moon." and every track ends by forcing the listeners to say "Wow, that was real cool". Uninspired, right? But the way the Foundation got it was the maker hand-delivered to them personally, apparently being compelled/possessed by a group of very irate AWCY folks whom he had shown this to. That interview log was gold:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's also a great thing in the comments of it by the author:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-snip-
I'm still of the opinion that of all the things the Foundation has that would change the world or revolutionize it, you've chosen to make your stand on the one that is literally universe destroying if containment is not followed. Go tell me next that SCP-140 sounds like a very nice group of people, or that the people behind SCP-186 had the right ideas, or that SCP-106 should be a free man. Incidentally, anyone who has read 106 should also read Treats (after, and not before reading 106).

On a totally unrelated subject did anyone hear about that thing down in Samothrace?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:02:47 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2016, 04:55:24 pm »

Great, can we get some cleaners in here to [REDACT] misko27?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2016, 04:57:43 pm »

Oh hey I was looking for an excuse to post this.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 05:12:25 pm »

Oh gods 682 is so adorable.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2016, 05:24:35 pm »

If you really wanted infinite reaction mass, couldn't you just tell that drink machine thing to make lots of rocket fuel?

If I recall, SCP-294 doesn't create what it dispenses, it summons it from elsewhere.

I'm curious, what would happen if SCP-239 got ahold of SCP-674? In short, SCP-674 is a light-gun for the NES that makes its users irrefutably believe the people they shoot with it are actually shot, while SCP-239 is a little girl who can warp reality according to what she believes is true. Would the people 239 shoots with 674 actually be shot?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2016, 05:29:39 pm »

Yeah, but given the size of the universe, almost anything nonspecific you summon may as well be created right there.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »

I decided to take a crack at writing one.  Tech writing is my field so I'm pretty good at the clinical tone and I like writing weird shit in weirder genres.

I'm taking a call of cthulhu game I've given up on ever running and doing something productive with it.
Shoes...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 03:57:41 pm »

Bloody Armok...

I've been reading up about the other GoIs, the Groups of Interest, and I'm sympathising with a few of them. The Manna Foundation is the practical and safe application of skips for the common good - check. The Serpent's Hand, the Wanderer's Library - awesome in so many ways. It doesn't have an ideology, it's just a collection of people with sentiments that I can totally get behind. And the Black Queen, the Serpent's Tooth? Appears to be a single in-charge person leading - but it's really not. And the Church of the Broken God? Mekhane, intellect and machine! And he is the serpent in the garden, so that is linked to the Serpent's Hand in a sense (I find them everywhere) he is wisdom intellect and knowledge, and he has broken himself for us#%$

But I like the Foundation so much! The loose sense of morals, abandoned when either SCIENTIFIC CURIOSITY or LESSER EVIL requires it? Awesome! And when the Flesh that Hates arrives, I'd rather see it contained. Not destroyed, not spread, but SCIENCED.

And this is awesome, because it's realistic. In Real Life, you don't have a single Good Protagonist with Evil Enemies, you might have someone or something you're focusing on, but everything is shades of gray and nobody is safe and when the collective sense of reality fails, who is to say who has done the most? And was it ever worth it, really?

Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]