Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 209727 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Many Innocent Deaths)
« Reply #495 on: December 13, 2014, 06:17:58 pm »

For the people concerned about cave adaptation, a glass cieling room can be used to help readjust your super soldiers to the sunlight without having them go out and puke for 6 months during an emergency.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 14, 2014, 05:01:32 am »

Actually just channeling and flooring over a tile makes the tile below it insise light underground. This does not cure cave adaption but at least don't contributes to too...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 14, 2014, 10:52:46 am »

Since it's not possible to train surface adaptation permanently I'm not going to bother with it during this project. I'll build some outdoor ballrooms later.

The Observer training is nearing completion; looks like it'll actually take less than a year to reach Legendary with non-stop training, and I mean non-stop. Apparently dwarves can still learn Observer and other skills even while asleep, and (in one case) will even feel fondness talking with a friend. Curiously they still would let goblins murder them in their beds if I wouldn't send soldiers to save them.

Since a sparring squad for some reason doesn't seem to disturb anyone's sleep this means that a dormitory would also be a good place to train everyone's Observer skill. It would also safeguard from vampires.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 15, 2014, 05:50:58 pm »

Dwarven child care... That's something I haven't seen in a while.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 18, 2014, 04:28:44 pm »

Something curious just happened...

On a whim I dropped a captured giant olm into the "phys. ed. class", i.e. the student goblin wrestling arena.  Instantly the two students present started gaining Discipline while running in circles around the unconscious olm. This never happened with goblins.

I suspect this has to do something with the giant olm's huge size. To test this again I'll have to capture something else that's significantly larger than the students but still relatively harmless. I'd very much like to have Discpline training in the school's curriculum.

Uhhh... welcome?

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 30, 2014, 06:54:41 pm »

I remember in the original dwarven child care thread someone suggested melting the "test subjects" fat off with magma mist. I don't know if it's practical but if it could work that would be great, magma immune dwarves. The day has come.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 30, 2014, 07:11:28 pm »

This thread had sunk all the way to fifth page so a little update...

I finished up the controlled drowning chamber and signed up the remaining non-Legendary swimmers for some crash courses. The chamber is basically a pool of 7/7 water with a retracting bridge on top of it. I built it to see if it would be possible to train Recuperation attribute by controlled non-lethal drowning but it seems that all it does is train Swimming at monstrously fast rate. All students are now Legendary Swimmers.

I have also experimented with dropping various dangerous critters into the phys. ed. class and leaving the students to deal with them as they see fit. The results have mostly been disappointing but the last lesson had its moments when four year old Dumed Gullysling beat a cave crocodile slowly to death with his bare hands. Highest marks for that one, Dumed.

Combat training with real opponents has so far been very random; mostly the students run away in panic and have to be saved by soldiers, but occasionally someone snaps and brutalizes the enemy, no matter the size or threat level. This doesn't seem to be connected with Discipline skill or personality as I thought earlier.

I will continue to feed the classroom with whatever gets captured by cage traps, in hope to get some clue how the civilian combat works. I'm half tempted to drop a hydra in there next, just to see what would happen.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 30, 2014, 07:20:05 pm »

I think the magma immunity by fat removal worked only in .34.11 days. To my knowledge creatures can now actually burn up in a fire, fat or no fat.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #503 on: January 01, 2015, 08:51:17 pm »

Inalalina, "The Portentous Land," has been overrun with goblins, and the few dwarves left have almost nowhere to go. Desperate, they launch an expedition to Commonlashed, with instructions to breed...and TRAIN! Tulon Atasterith, the best dwarven scientist still alive, has great plans for the future of Commonlashed. That is...he will combine the two orders, and train the results of breeding. With minimum casualties, for this !!science!! will determine the fate of the dwarves.

(No, really, I got the goblins to take over almost completely, using Pocket/Super Long History. For the story...)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:22:39 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 02, 2015, 10:25:09 am »

Go for it, but be prepared to take good care of your precious few married couples. It's very hard to get dwarves to marry and reproduce in this version.

Meanwhile, in Questmountain, my kids are just about ready. Guest lecturer Ismir Freefly the Famous Castle, a giant, was reduced to crimson mush at the hands of nine of the students. The killing head blow was struck by seven year old Aban Thornroughness. Well done, all of you.

Looks like students will not easily attack an enemy unless it's clearly bigger than them and presents a serious danger. I'm starting to suspect that they regard goblins as mere nuisance and will not waste time fighting them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:30:17 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 02, 2015, 12:48:40 pm »

Considering their stats, I don't doubt that goblins would be "a mere nuisance".
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 02, 2015, 02:30:08 pm »

Still, the "nuisance" goblin can quickly start bending their limbs out of shape when it levels up to Elite Wrestler after few days of chasing casually dodging students.

I'd very much like to find a way to provoke them to fight goblins somehow, so they would get more regular training in Discipline and combat skills. That way I also wouldn't have to feed all my captured megabeasts to them; I only have a single bronze colossus left.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 02, 2015, 03:26:46 pm »

They've been killing bronze collosi? Multiple?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 02, 2015, 03:48:40 pm »

No, I meant that out of all mega- and other big beasts I've captured I only have the single (and only) bronze colossus left. I think it would be too much even to these children but at this point I can't be sure.

I'm tempted to find out but it might bring a bloody end to the project, and the fort.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 02, 2015, 05:44:23 pm »

...so after saying that of course I had to try it.

I dropped the Special Guest Lecturer Fimshel Clobberfathers the Scratches of Sieging into a class of twenty eager students who immediately started pounding the colossus with unprecedented vigor. As I had suspected the students' punches glanced off harmlessly from hard bronze but surprisingly Fimshel didn't manage to hurt them either, save few bruises. Only when the students started tiring after a week of hard lecturing the big guy got hold of few of them, twisting their ankles or elbows the wrong way. After the third injury I let the militia in to deal with the colossus.

The bravest of the students are now Expert Strikers, with an assortment of other combat skills. Not a bad trade, I'd say.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62