Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Philosophy and Ethics Thread: We're Ethical Now  (Read 8979 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Philosophy and Ethics Thread: We're Ethical Now
« on: August 25, 2016, 09:05:19 am »

Philosophy thread? Philosophy thread.

RULES

Go by whatever system of morality you legitimately and sincerely hold. Also don't break any of the forum rules.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:10:24 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Philosophy Thread - I think, therefore I post
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:07:38 am »

I've been thinking about mathematics. It's not entirely tied to reality, yet it is somewhat bound to it.

There's a part of math that is not dependent on reality. No matter where I go, 1+1 will equal 2, 1 will be =/= to -1, and the square root of 4 will be 2. Right?

But when I see how Euclidean geometry came about because that's how people understand the world, I think that mathematics can only be created by material beings existing within a reality if there is some similarity between that which is being discussed and that which can be observed.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:33:34 am »

Spoiler: Philosophy (click to show/hide)

I think Sprin is dead.
Just gonna leave this here.

Also, you don't know that parts of math aren't dependent on reality, cuz of the whole "living in reality" thing. 1+1 being 2 could well be a factor of our universe's rules and not apply elsewhere.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 10:19:37 am »

1+1=2 has jack all to do with our universe's rules, though. Math derives itself from its axioms, which are things we invented, for all we largely tried to fit them with reality as we perceive(d) it. Its existential connection to the forces of reality amount entirely to the structure of how humans create and interpret concept systems. Everything else is, at base, functionally incidental. If you start from the same base, the results would be the same, basically. Everything besides the axioms themselves and their interrelation is irrelevant. If you wanted a different math, you'd have to use a different set of assumptions... and then it wouldn't be math, because those assumptions are fundamentally all math is.

It'd be like taking english, changing the alphabet, grammar, and vocabulary entirely, and then trying to say it's english again. It's still a means of communication, but a different one.

The only reason parts of it seem to adhere to what we consider real is because those are the parts where we use math as a way to describe what we see as reality. The math itself is as connected to what it describes as the language I'm using to communicate right now is a fundamental mechanic of existence (i.e. it isn't, to any direct extent).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 11:14:36 am »

@quotedquoteinvolvingSprin: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/1
Sigtext!

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:54:07 am »

Philosophy starts when mathematic ends. Read it somewhere.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 03:42:34 pm »

I've been thinking about mathematics. It's not entirely tied to reality, yet it is somewhat bound to it.

There's a part of math that is not dependent on reality. No matter where I go, 1+1 will equal 2, 1 will be =/= to -1, and the square root of 4 will be 2. Right?

But when I see how Euclidean geometry came about because that's how people understand the world, I think that mathematics can only be created by material beings existing within a reality if there is some similarity between that which is being discussed and that which can be observed.

Not true. Working with the finite field of elements {0,1} with + defined as:
    0+0 = 0
    0+1=1+0=1
    1+1=0

And * defined as:
    0*0=0*1=1*0=0
    1*1=1

Then 1+1=0.

That's the beauty of math- if you want a particular property, you can just construct the elements required for that property to show up, assuming it's possible.

(1+1)mod1=0

that is true

But! That is with a different set of mathematical rules! I was assuming the standard mathematics things. I haven't taken a class on the rigorous basis of the simplest parts of mathematics, but I'd like to. Those rigorous foundational rules can be changed, but that is not tied to reality, the universe, or anything else. However, it is impossible to describe something that can neither be observed nor compared to observation. Two is one and one, and one means a singular thing. Thus arithmetic comes from counting objects. If objects were counted differently in another universe, mathematics would revolve around something else.
Sigtext!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:10:15 pm »

I think there might be a mathematics derived from different axioms (not symbols, axioms) but concieting of it in a universe in which those axioms iold firm is very unlikely, if not impossible.

So all maths we can access is dependent on thd universe's rules, just like everything else in the universe.

Maths vs percieveable reality is another debate, which I believe may hold the key to the reason for this specific reality. But that is a question for another time, not 12 pm on a phone.
One wheel short of a wagon

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 05:29:07 pm »

Posting to philosophise, never had too much of an interest or aptitude for mathematics, so I'll just observe, jump in when the topic switches to ethics or such.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 06:43:05 pm »

What does mathematics have to do with the current universe? That's physics. There's a difference.
It was INVENTED in the current universe. By sacks of meat and chemicals called humans. Thus it's rules are based on the firing of neurons in human brains, which is part of the current universe/reality.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »

It seems that we take the law of the excluded middle for granted over here.

It is possible to have something be true, and it is possible to have something be false, can you not have something be true and false? Can something be neither true nor false? Can you even discuss something which could not be described in the framework of truth or falsehood? Can you discuss the concept of that which is not verifiable or falsifiable? You can have something, and you can have nothing, could you have other options? Is it possible to describe a concept which is itself not a concept?

Mu.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:41:38 pm »

What does mathematics have to do with the current universe? That's physics. There's a difference.
It was INVENTED in the current universe. By sacks of meat and chemicals called humans. Thus it's rules are based on the firing of neurons in human brains, which is part of the current universe/reality.
Technically "Invented" is a loaded and meaningless term. Discovered is almost universally more apt, especially regarding Physics and things that are true for all observers, like mathematics. I'd argue you could reasonably use the phrase "discover" regarding more specific things like television sets or the wheel, but I imagine historians would disapprove of the historical determinism. Regardless, unless you embrace a solipsistic view and argue that humanity (or more specifically, yourself) is the only measure of things, I'd argue that most things (but not all, see: Quantum Physics) would still be so regardless of whether they were observed. As such, I'd say the importance of a hill in a military engagement is an objective fact even if there is no war to be fought. It is simply true, although it is truth without purpose.

This is called meta-physics, and it falls under the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. One thing I do not solve is practical problems, like how to stop some mean mother-hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind.
Mu.
I could not for the life of me determine what this is a reference to.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 07:57:42 pm »

Eh, "discovery" in mathematics is a matter of analysis. It's not really finding something new as it is puzzling out the implications of what's already known. Which... makes it very unlike the normal usage of discovery, to the point it's frankly kinda' misleading, for all it's used fairly often. Very very different from something like physics. Physics you test, math you prove, or along those lines.

Know there's a better word for it vis a vis stuff like math, but I've forgotten what it is :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 05:16:53 am »

Mu.
I could not for the life of me determine what this is a reference to.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_(negative)
"I have no answer to provide."

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 03:53:00 pm »

Did somebody say morality?!

I used to be a "weak" moral relativist, but now I'm thinking that there is no way to logically justify morality itself. That is, any system of morality will be arbitrary, except for the fact that it was evolutionarily produced. A morality that says "kill all babies" will result in a dead civilization. That is the only absolute definition of "good"; all other definitions are made from that, and nothing is objectively good or evil in the sense that people use the terms. You can only call things good or evil with a reference frame of a particular arbitrary set of morals.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6