Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you handle Clothing?  (Read 4761 times)

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you handle Clothing?
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:57:03 pm »

I decided to automate my clothing industry.

Once a year, I get my leather-worker to produce 50 shirts/shoes/trousers/cloaks/gloves, being the same amount as my population.
At the same time, I have a DFHack Command that use "cleanowned scattered x" every month.

The problem is, every time I come to un-dump the clothing to sell, they've dumped clothing without x's either side of it. In addition, they all just clutter my lovely Catacombs & bedrooms with this non-sensical display of Black Friday Clothing grabbing. I opted to remove their cabinets because I swear, those clothing never get touched by the cleanowned command.

Since everyone has -1M Stress, I'm probably going to make this a nudest colony now, because quite frankly, I don't need to put up with this. That, or if possible, disable this "ownership" system if at all possible.

So I was wondering, how you guy deal with this problem? I only have a population of 50 (futile attempt to stop the Never-Forgotten Beast FPS from destroying the fort), so can only fathom at what a 140 Pop. Mountainhome or larger would be like.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:11:07 pm by Encrtia »
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: How do you handle Clothing?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:53:27 pm »

Mostly nudist until armour. I make 10 cloaks and socks once every year (on a population of 40), just to boost the focus levels of some dwarves from acquiring an item, but as long as needs and stress are not implemented, it's not nescessary at all to keep them clothed.
I fear the day that needs and stress will actually do something, not because I think I can't keep my dwarves reasonably happy, but because of the clothing clutterf***

But yeah, armour. Once they are wearing a headpiece, body item, leg item and foot item, they're happy. Doesn't need to be clothing, metal armour counts too, and doesn't wear (or if it does, a million times slower). You can armour up every dwarf, except woodcutters, hunters and miners.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:18:10 pm »

I did not know the downside of less clothing wasn't that bad... good to know ;D thanks for the armour tip too

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 02:44:38 pm »

Doesn't adding the scattered command specify clothing that's just that? I'm pretty sure a simple cleanowned x will catch everything, including clothes on their backs.

Are you dead set on selling it? You could always follow up your clean owned command with an autodump destroy.

If that feels too cheaty then have them dispose of the dumped items in some magma or an atom smasher.

[e] To answer your question I pretty much do what you described. Every year or so I'll make enough new stuff for at least ~90% of the pop and throw in some periodic cleanowned/autodumps.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:46:31 pm by smithist »

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:46 pm »

Doesn't adding the scattered command specify clothing that's just that? I'm pretty sure a simple cleanowned x will catch everything, including clothes on their backs.

Are you dead set on selling it? You could always follow up your clean owned command with an autodump destroy.

If that feels too cheaty then have them dispose of the dumped items in some magma or an atom smasher.

[e] To answer your question I pretty much do what you described. Every year or so I'll make enough new stuff for at least ~90% of the pop and throw in some periodic cleanowned/autodumps.

Nothing's too cheaty in the fight against FPS.

I would atom-smash, but it feels bad every time I get dozens of "Lost a Masterwork!" But I guess at this point, pff. How do you automate dumping into magma?

And "oh I see"... scattered... mm... I never actually researched that command on DFHack Doc;

Quote from: DFHack Doc
Cleanowned

Confiscates items owned by dwarfs. By default, owned food on the floor and rotten items are confistacted and dumped.

Options:
all:   confiscate all owned items
scattered:   confiscated and dump all items scattered on the floor

Thanks for making me aware of my ignorance. Though, don't you get random items in mix that don't possess x(item)x around them? I keep getting pristine Masterwork clothing in my dump. If I get that sorted, I'll be able to fully automate it with a "dump into lava" conga line. That'd be perfect!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:09:12 pm by Encrtia »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 03:17:29 pm »

How do you automate dumping into magma?
1. Make a clothing stockpile that takes only from your clothier's workshop.
2. Make a clothing stockpile that gives to a minecart. Said minecart is on a track stop set to dump into magma.

Fresh fortress-made clothing goes in stockpile 1, everything else goes in stockpile 2.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:35:08 pm »

How do you automate dumping into magma?
1. Make a clothing stockpile that takes only from your clothier's workshop.
2. Make a clothing stockpile that gives to a minecart. Said minecart is on a track stop set to dump into magma.

Fresh fortress-made clothing goes in stockpile 1, everything else goes in stockpile 2.

Very nice, thanks!

Edit: I've been using quantum stockpiles for so long, & completely overlooked this process to incinerate all of my junk. Dear oh dear; thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:49:56 pm by Encrtia »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 03:59:43 pm »

Edit: I've been using quantum stockpiles for so long, & completely overlooked this process to incinerate all of my junk. Dear oh dear; thanks again!

I seem to recall the dwarven atom smasher working particularly well as well.

I also seem to recall that smashing enough objects causes the game to still be slightly laggy as the objects are not completely destroyed? Did I make this up accidentally? (It has been a long while [since 40d] that I have needed an Atom Smasher)
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 04:55:02 pm »

I seem to recall the dwarven atom smasher working particularly well as well.

I also seem to recall that smashing enough objects causes the game to still be slightly laggy as the objects are not completely destroyed? Did I make this up accidentally? (It has been a long while [since 40d] that I have needed an Atom Smasher)

I hope that isn't the case... only Artefacts remain as far as I'm aware so far.

And the problem with the Atom Smasher is automation. You'll always have to fiddle around with levers.

But the downside of Waste Incineration (as I've JUST found out), is safety... someone fell into it within the first week :'( will revise for safety in memory of him.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 05:38:22 pm »

To make my magma dump as safe as possible I build (or carve) it such that the actual hole over magma is surrounded on three sides by walls and the fourth side is the track stop. Above that is the receiving stockpile. I've had very few problems with dwarves falling in.

You can do magma dumps with qsp. Another very simple setup that synergizes well with cleanowned is to just make a 1x2 tile dump zone with the back most tile over the hole. They'll always go for the further back tile and into the magma it goes. I say it goes well with cleanowned because that marks them for dumping and as far as I know you can't setup a traditional track stop qsp to receive dumped items.

[e]You can even setup your activity zone magma dump on top of your qsp dump. Just draw the zone over the hole and the track stop and set to active whenever you need it. Just don't forget to turn it off if you're dumping other stuff you don't want incinerated!

Also, I believe I read that masterwork destruction bad thoughts are proportional to the total number of masterworks they've made. Churn out enough clothing and it should bother them less and less.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:41:59 pm by smithist »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 09:13:25 pm »

Incinerating old clothing sounds so much more fun than atom smashing it, especially with minecarts being involved.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 09:16:32 pm »

To make my magma dump as safe as possible I build (or carve) it such that the actual hole over magma is surrounded on three sides by walls and the fourth side is the track stop. Above that is the receiving stockpile. I've had very few problems with dwarves falling in.

You can do magma dumps with qsp. Another very simple setup that synergizes well with cleanowned is to just make a 1x2 tile dump zone with the back most tile over the hole. They'll always go for the further back tile and into the magma it goes. I say it goes well with cleanowned because that marks them for dumping and as far as I know you can't setup a traditional track stop qsp to receive dumped items.

[e]You can even setup your activity zone magma dump on top of your qsp dump. Just draw the zone over the hole and the track stop and set to active whenever you need it. Just don't forget to turn it off if you're dumping other stuff you don't want incinerated!

Also, I believe I read that masterwork destruction bad thoughts are proportional to the total number of masterworks they've made. Churn out enough clothing and it should bother them less and less.

All set up and ready to go ! There's only one thing I have to be careful of, & that's the gag-reflex. Sadly, when I dropped 600 Giant Rhinoceros bones at once, the resulting splash overflowed... Everyone just needs to stand back during the big payloads, & no more accidents. I even made the pit 2 z-levels tall, not that it made much difference. Contemplating making it into a chimney...

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:34:12 pm »

Definitely go chimney. You want your drop point to be several z-levels above the actual surface of the magma. I think the minimum is four.

I usually go pretty high up to be safe, magma mist is deadly!

[e]Plus something about my garbage tumbling 10-20 z levels into the magma sea is v satisfying

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 09:41:35 pm »

Definitely go chimney. You want your drop point to be several z-levels above the actual surface of the magma. I think the minimum is four.

I usually go pretty high up to be safe, magma mist is deadly!

[e]Plus something about my garbage tumbling 10-20 z levels into the magma sea is v satisfying

Thanks for the confirmation, will contact the Grand Architect who's designed everything in our Fortress for 40 years now - he's nearly level 1. He knows what he's doing....

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 11:33:07 pm »

Nearly a novice? Really?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2 3